Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Punisher 1!

           To start off I always enjoyed the character Punisher in comics. However, to me he was always the great costar never the best main; Always the rhythm guitarist never great at lead. Of course there are stories that are exceptions but I just never been super interested into him alone. However I saw Punisher issue 1 on stands and decided to pick it up. Read my brief review after the jump.









          Let me just start and say this was a very entertaining read; recently I have become more interested in street level characters so this may be why I enjoyed the book. Although it was a good read I felt there was one major thing wrong. I think there wasn’t enough Frank Castle in it.  While IGN and Comic book resources said that they like the fact that he didn’t narrate or say a thing I have to oppose. I think they should have had some internal narration for the readers who may be picking this up without knowing who Frank Castle is despite the fact that he an antihero who kill bad people. This issue felt like a set up issue; I’m not saying it wasn’t a great issue, but for a number 1, which is supposed to welcomes new readers; there should have been better character development.

          I love the art; especially the dark panels. It was very nice to look at what more can I say about it. It really showcases Marco Checchetto talent. Overall I was happy with this purchase. Now at the end I really had to make my decision from the big three options. Should I drop it, collect it as an ongoing or trade wait. I enjoyed it so I’m not going to drop it but it didn’t scream I have to collect it as soon as it hit stands because I can’t wait till the next chapter. So I’m going to trade wait for this one. If I have to give it a review score out of ten, I give it an 8. I recommend it as a read for anyone who likes street level comics. I have a feeling that this comic going to pick up soon. Remember follow, comment and return weekly.

P.s I love the Morgan Freeman look-alike detective character.

No comments: