Sunday, October 2, 2011

Aquaman 1 quick shot review

The only comic I picked up this week is Aquaman 1. Everyone knows that Aquaman is the butt of all jokes, he is the lamest hero ever right…….There is a common stereotype that Aquaman is a joke character and just useless when it comes to battles with villains. Geoff John addresses all these common misinterpretation of Aquaman powers and makes it pretty damn entertaining. More on this after the jump.


 I have never read Aquaman, like the majority I thought his character should just go away and die with all his lame powers. This issue spoke directly to me. I have a completely different perspective of him now. Geoff John for a majority of the issue tears Aquaman down; criminals laugh, cops feel bad for the fact that it was Aquaman who upstaged them, and all through the issue everyone is taking cheap shots at him. Through this however he clarifies many things about Aquaman. Aquaman don’t talk to fish for one, he controls them.

I was surprised this issue was so entertaining, not that I doubted Geoff Johns, I just never cared for the character. Well I was blown away; I read this a couple of times already and planning for more. In short this is a must by for people who always spoke of the character in jokes and for those who always loved him. A solid 9.5 out of 10.

2 comments:

Jon Q. Citizen said...

I completely agree!! I had read some Aquaman in the past, but never really "collected" him. That has now changed. I love how Johns approached the issue, and made A-Man the biggest underdog in comics!

The Ronin said...

I enjoyed the this issue, but felt the "Aquaman sucks... OR DOES HE?!?!?" jokes a little heavy handed.

Maybe it was just a little too pop culturalee for me? I don't know.

That said It was a FUN comic, and a lot of comics forget the fun part these days.

It is not on my pull list yet, but it might very well get there if they can provide a bit more meat. (and with the creative team I don't see that as being a problem)